Language Learning in Ministry: Preparing for Cross-Cultural Language Acquisition
Are you excited to minister in another culture, but worried about how best to learn the language of the people you are going to serve? While a new culture and a new language will change you and your family in dramatic ways, let the author dispel common myths about language acquisition and share a hopeful outlook.
Language Learning in Ministry is essential for learning a new language or providing guidance for those headed into a new language context. With chapters on both formal and informal language learning to guide the selection of language schools, programs, and methodologies, this book walks you through the options, opportunities, and challenges ahead.
Special attention is given to:
- Viewing language learning through a ministry lens
- Language development of children and the needs of the family, including schooling options and opportunities for MKs to learn the local
- Personal application-walking the reader through decision-making processes to chart a path for success in language learning
- Rich resources such as language proficiency scales, language learning methodologies, and online resources
- A complete task-based language learning curriculum that can be adapted to any language
Don't let language learning be a desert of waiting, but rather, a launch-pad for ministry opportunities. Utilizing the knowledge and guidance provided in this book will minimize your stress, increase the potential for your success in acquiring a new language, and fuel your ministry.
William Carey Publishing
TESOL, ESL, ministry, Messiah, foreign language
Bilingual, Multilingual, and Multicultural Education | Language Interpretation and Translation | Religious Education
Dormer, Jan, "Language Learning in Ministry: Preparing for Cross-Cultural Language Acquisition" (2021). Educator Book Gallery. 76.
Dormer, J. E. (2021). Language learning in ministry: Preparing for cross-cultural language acquisition. William Carey Publishing.