Date of Award
Project Open Access
● Parkinson’s Disease (PD) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects over 10 million people globally.
● There is evidence to suggest that dual-cognitive tasks negatively impact the gait and balance of patients with PD.
● 19-38% of patients with PD will develop cognitive impairments.
● Higher level cognitive functioning dual tasks exacerbate freezing of gait episodes (FoG).
● Research shows potential improvement with dual-tasks during gait secondary to prioritization of motor task of walking.
Dao, Kathy; Glass, Emily; Maday, Adrienne; McLoughlin, Stephen; and Rodic, Borko, "The Effects of Dual Tasks on Balance and Gait in Patients with Parkinson’s Disease: A Critically Appraised Topic" (2022). Physical Therapy Student Scholarship. 8.